Tuesday, March 17, 2009

PICK OF THE WEEK: Time Video Shoot at The Blind Dog (with Sledgehammer to boot!)


Let me be the first to admit that I have not seen every Windsor band live. I've seen a chunk, don't get me wrong, but considering I do all this coverage, all this Windsor Scene promotion free of charge (and usually still have to pay cover to provide said coverage), it can be a costly venture getting out to as many shows as I would like. Some bands will just have to remain MySpace ventures until I become independently wealthy (or Guest Lists are offered, nudge nudge).

One band I have wanted to see for sometime now is a band known simply as Time. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of the name and that at first I was in avoidance purely on that fact. It just didn't ring as anything special or stand-outish. But when I finally did, I was glad I had. At first I kind of assumed they were in the same vein as perhaps The Darkness or even Stillwater (the fictional amalgamation band from the classic film Almost Famous), a somewhat mocking tribute to the glory of tried and true classic rock. But the more I listened to their stuff on MySpace and saw their photos, etc. I realized that there's no pretention or mockery involved at all. These guys have way more in common with the resurgence of rock and roll bands like Wolf Mother or Jet than Spinal Tap.

Sure there's a lot of hair on the heads and chins of this four man gang, but there's a lot of power behind those riffs and the production on their self-titled debut (available downtown at Dr. Disc or at their shows) is slick and perfect for their destined-for-arena rock sound. These guys would look just as "rock and roll" on a small stage like the Coach & Horses as they would at the Joe Louis Arena. Their music isn't made for a minimal indie purist crowd or an internet radio forum, these guys are assembling power chord blueprints to rock to the biggest assemblage of sweaty rock fans as possible. These guys combine the swagger of The Black Crowes with Cheap Trick hooks and Mott The Hoople 70's arena rock riffs. The song "The Pressure" (also on the EP) is a killer summer cruiser.

This Saturday, Time is holding a special show at The Blind Dog (761 Ouellette Ave.), the Venue Formerly Known As The Roxy (and Even More Previously Known as 'O', The Res(idence) and Bernie's World) to shoot their first video, for their single "White Window" off their afore-mentioned EP. The single is a balls-out rocker with epic riffs and classic rock hooks and there's no reason to think these guys won't make the big time.

Warming up the crowd will be the piano metal mastery of Sledgehammer. Not only are these fellas some of the nicest guys you'll find in the local music scene, they are seriously accomplished musicians, regardless of your opinion of heavy metal. They have no guitars, just bass, drums and a piano, and let me tell you - Andrew Skuza plays that piano harder than most guitarists play their axe.

Once again I'm going to be foiled seeing Time by work scheduling, but I'll get their one day. But if you have the night off, I say you have yourself a couple beers with the boys at home then head to the Blind Dog for a night of sweet rock and roll. You just might get your face on MuchMusic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers